Outdoor Adventure Center
Spring Hours: (Apr. 1 – May 12)
- Monday – Thursday, Noon-8pm
- Friday – Sunday, 11am – 5pm
We just finished hosting our 5th annual climbing competition through WICS (Wisconsin Indoor Climbing Series). With national sponsors and nearly 80 competitors, it was a huge success. Check out our 360 Video that captured a few moments of the climbing: https://youtu.be/NZQELcbeFzs (use the cursor to look around the facility!)
Our climbing wall is free to students and SRWC members during open climbing hours.
If your student group or organization is looking for a unique way to grow as a team, we offer group climbing opportunities. For more information about group climbing or to schedule your event, email the OAC; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring Semester Hours
Monday-Thursday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Closed during finals week of both semesters
- Closed the week preceding our annual WICS Climbing Competition (Feb. 6-11)
- Closed for Spring Break
- Closed for Packer games that fall on a Monday or Thursday night
Note: We offer clinics each night from 5pm-6pm before the wall opens. Check with our wall staff to see a schedule of clinics, including belay instruction, sport climbing, route setting, and others.
You must sign a waiver before you will be allowed to use the wall. Your waiver will be kept on file and is valid for one academic year.
The climbing wall staff will belay new or inexperienced climbers on a first come, first served basis.This is designed to let everyone try the wall.
After climbers have come three to five times, we will encourage you to complete the Belay Skills class. Once you have attended the Belay Skill class and completed the Belay Certification Test (see below) you are free to climb any time we are open. You will still be required to check in and you must bring a partner (climber/belayer) who has also passed the skills class. Until you have been given permission by the Climbing Wall Manager, you will be required to have a backup belayer. Our staff, while present, is not your backup belayer. Climbing shoes are available at no cost.
The climbing wall is available to students and SRWC members for general bouldering. Before bouldering, all climbers must attend a brief Bouldering Clinic. It is strongly recommended that all boulderers climb with a spotter (who has also taken the Bouldering class). Boulderers should check-in at the OAC Office before bouldering, or in the event the office is closed, check in with the SRWC Front Desk staff.
Current Bouldering Hours
Monday-Friday: 1 – 5 p.m.
Belay Skills Class
This is our orientation class designed for beginning climbers with no experience, or those who need to refresh their skills. Our instructors will focus on equipment use and care, belaying mechanics, climbing commands, spotting, knots and a general introduction to the climbing wall rules. On slower nights our staff may be available to offer the class on a drop-in basis; however there will also be signup sheets for scheduled class times. You can sign up in advance; classes are free and are available on a first come first served basis.
Open Class Hours
Monday-Thursday: 5 – 6 p.m.
- Anyone wishing to use the climbing wall must present a valid Titan ID or guest pass before each climb.
- Before you begin, you must complete a climbing wall orientation class or a skills check and have a valid participation waiver on file before engaging in any bouldering or climbing.
- Solo climbing is NOT permitted and all climbers must be protected by a top rope belay or a sport route belay, unless bouldering.
- Climbers must provide a belayer.
- For bouldering, one spotter is encouraged and the climber’s hands shall not pass above the marked line.
- Climbers are required to use backup belayers, until authorized by the Climbing Wall Manager.
- Climbers are required to use the ropes, carabiners and belay devices provided by the SRWC.
- Climbers must use proper safety equipment when engaged in rope climbing. Harnesses and climbing shoes are available for use at the wall. If a climber uses his/her own harness or shoes, the Climbing Wall Manager must approve it before use.
- While climbing, closed toed shoes (preferably climbing shoes), must be worn. Bare feet are not allowed on the climbing floor surface and climbing shoes may not be worn on any other surface other than the climbing wall area.
- A figure 8 follow-through knot must be tied directly into the climber’s harness.
- A belay device must be attached to the belayer’s harness. Climbers may use their own belay device at the discretion of the Climbing Wall Manager.
- Always check and double-check the climber’s knot, harness and belay system before each climb.
- Proper belaying and climbing commands should be used.
- The use of loose chalk is prohibited; only eco-balls are allowed.
- Anyone wearing jewelry of any kind will be asked to remove it before the start of the climb.
- Only instruction by the Climbing Wall Staff is permitted.